***Please note that the initial JD was for a Central Head of Compliance, however, the role has expanded to Hong Kong Head.
Hong Kong Head of Compliance
Business: Group Compliance
Hiring Manager: Group Head of Compliance
Employment Location: Hong Kong
Employee Group: Permanent
Job Category: Full Time
The Central Compliance Team is part of the thefirms Group Compliance function and responsible for developing, implementing and maintaining regulatory compliance policies and procedures for the firm as well as licensing, so as to ensure compliance with relevant regulatory requirements. The Department provides training, support and guidance to the firms employees on regulatory and compliance matters, undertakes monitoring activities and plans, manages and undertakes the firms Group Compliance projects which may be assigned from time to time.
The Head of Central Compliance will contribute to the leadership of to the Compliance Department and lead the Central Compliance team in performing Licensing matters, Staff Dealing and Compliance Declarations monitoring, Disclosure of Interest and Regulatory inquiries processing. Registration and renewals of staff licenses, assisting in the development, implementation and maintenance of compliance monitoring programs as well as coordinating with regulators on inspections and perform tasks assigned by his/her manager from time to time. While the main focus is on the Hong Kong Regulatory requirements, additional work to help support the global firms operations will be required.
• To be the Compliance lead continuing the build-out of the firm’s Compliance programme for the Central Compliance team business.
• Work seamlessly across the various entities forging consistency within the Group.
• Advise businesses on implementing adequate procedures and controls with regulations, laws and codes.
• Develop policies and procedures as necessary, including consulting stakeholders and business.
• Direct risk reviews, remediate gaps, drive solutions, and manage projects to ensure a compliant outcome.
• Identify, assess and plan for the potential impact of new regulation globally across the Compliance function.
• Take the lead in providing information in relation to SFC regulatory inquiries, ad hoc investigation, survey and follow up questions.
• Handling various notifications including incidental / suspicious violation and ensure the SFC notification requirements are followed.
• Leading the SFC licensing matters, including license applications, terminations, notifications and submission of Annual Returns, in a timely manner.
• Ensuring that processing staff’s outside account requests, review staff’s outside account statements, clear alerts generated by the in-house staff dealing and compliance declarations system.
• Following-up with new joiners to complete their compliance declarations upon joining and also on an annual basis.
• Handling Disclosure of Interest, short position and other regulatory reporting.
• Undertaking certain Compliance monitoring tasks.
• Maintaining Internal Records including training and licensing details.
• Promoting ideas for process improvement and assist in their implementation.
• Performing tasks assigned by the Group Head of Compliance from time to time.
Skills and Experience
• Degree holder required, preferably in Law, Accounting or related discipline.
• Familiarity with or direct experience in Compliance, including significant retail, wealth management, institutional brokerage, licensing, surveillance and monitoring.
• Experience dealing with business leads, change management and delivering projects.
• Good knowledge of securities laws, specifically the SFC regulations, operations, products and services, especially those of Hong Kong.
• Self-motivated, independent and pleasant personality with excellent inter-personal skills.
• Attention to detail, organisational and multi-tasking skills. Ability to manage competing stakeholders.
• Management experience required and ability to demonstrate leadership.
• Demonstrated ability to drive change across an organisation and develop new solutions.
• Multilingual with excellent written and spoken English and ideally Mandarin too, Cantonese beneficial.
Educational / Professional Qualifications
• The person should preferably have not less than 8 years of financial services industry. Degree in Law/Accounting and/or other relevant professional qualifications.
• Knowledge of SFC, rules and regulations and subsidiary rules and regulations of the relevant StockExchanges.
The company provides equity broking, fixed income, corporate finance & capital markets and asset management services to global corporate and institutional clients.
Renowned for service excellence, product innovation and award-winning market intelligence, the firm has provided independent equity research, sales and trading for 30+ years. The firm is the largest agency-only brokerage in Asia with exchange membership in every developed market in the region, plus Australia and the Americas, the firm provides best execution across a range of products and services.
Through the firm, the group’s corporate finance and capital markets team leads equity public offerings (primary and secondary), debt issuances and M&A advisory. Direct investment is offered through diversified, alternative investment vehicles by the firms Capital Partners group.
Headquartered in Hong Kong, the firm has 1,500 dedicated professionals operate from 25 cities across Asia, Australia, the Americas and Europe. The firms parent company is a major Chinese brokerage and investment bank.