This role is to assist the Head of Compliance Hong Kong in managing the Compliance function of Hong Kong Branch (“Branch”) with a particular focus on providing support and advice to the Corporates & Markets and Treasury teams at the Branch. Scope of role will involve banking and markets compliance together with regulatory licensing and compliance training.
Assist in the Branch’s observation and adherence to requirements set out in:
Compliance Advisory Service:
• Perform trade-related reviews and monitoring to ensure regulatory and internal requirements are complied with. Investigate and follow up on potential issues;
• Regular communications surveillance for all client facing business lines;
• E-communication surveillance to identify possible breaches of control in Chinese walls, inappropriate
workplace behavior or insider trading;
• Manual monitoring on the restricted list, dark pools, facilitated trades, ramping, layering, front running,
conflicts of interest and insider trading;
• Review and perform Personal Account Dealing clearance; new products approvals, conflict clearance and
other aspects of Business As Usual tasks;
• Manage the licensing process for the Corporates and Markets business;
• Provide advice to and liaise with all Hong Kong branch employees in resolving compliance issues;
• Escalate and manage risk cases with follow up investigations within defined time frames;
• Review and perform clearance of regional and local marketing materials according to corporate and local
• Track regulatory developments and update Compliance Team and Senior Management in the location on any changes relevant to the Branch’s business;
• Participate in new business activities approval process;
• Ensure that Compliance Division’s management is made aware of upcoming changes to legislation and regulations in due course. Recommend and implement (or assist Senior Management to implement) corresponding compliance controls.
Compliance Programs / Plans:
• Review the relevant Compliance policies and procedures in identifying the gaps and areas for enhancements;
• Key Compliance member in leading and liaising among stakeholders on relevant projects and initiatives and advise from Compliance’s perspective of the major regulatory and control needs;
• Assist to carry out Compliance Risk Assessment and Monitoring Reviews for the Branch and recommend controls to manage or reduce these risks;
• Perform trading desk monitoring to ensure regulatory and internal requirements are complied with. Investigate and follow up on potential issues;
• Prepare regular and ad-hoc reports to Compliance Division’s management and local management on compliance activities, as well as on detected compliance breaches and shortcomings.
General / Compliance Culture:
• Facilitate the Branch’s compliance with applicable banking and securities laws, regulations, and internal guidelines regarding banking compliance, markets compliance;
• Prepare and/or execute Compliance Division’s global strategy and policy, e.g., prepare, implement and maintain a local Compliance Manual, policies and procedures;
• Facilitate or deliver relevant training sessions to Branch employees.
Relationship with Regulators and Authorities:
• Liaise with competent authorities (such as HKMA, SFC, Hong Kong Stock Exchange) on compliance issues on a regular basis. Among other things, respond to any of the authorities’ requests for information in due course and inform these authorities on breaches as required;
• Part of the key contact with local authorities and act as a local escalation channel on any regulatory issues as required.
• Execute other local or regional tasks assigned by the respective line manager; • Lead relevant initiatives as assigned by the Head of Compliance.